October 18, 2007

Dumbo Kickin in My Stall

When you single out Jazz etc. you, in a way, exclude the U.S. from the larger Western culture you seek to champion. I too think the breadth and scope of what western culture has achieved is unparalleled (you might have also mentioned Beethoven, Michaelangelo and Picasso). Ok, we’re great, does that give us the right to bomb the hell out of people. German’s invented Concentration Camps, doesn’t that count as a part of the Western legacy? Can you measure the difference between Yusef Lateef and Duke Ellington? Duke’s mark is greater, but what purpose does it serve to focus on the lesser/greater dichotomy. So Western Culture is superior to Islamic Culture, so what? They are horribly misogynistic, and we are inherently militaristic, whoopee yai yo tai eh! Praise God! That ain’t no mule kickin in your stall, Mitt. Tickle me Elmo.

R.J., your question. Notwithstanding the fact I would have to exit my social network (work/music/friends) yes, I could live in Spain, France, or Italy, and enjoy every minute of it. Much of the time soaking up that good old western culture we’re so proud of. Gimme another Da Vinci burger, and please, get in here and change my Mona Lisa shower curtains. When are these Frogs and Dagos gonna pick up on American hygiene?

4 comments:

RJ said...

Randy--

Thanks for your well-reasoned reply. I think that actually we agree on a lot of things, but of course, we have a difference of opinion in some areas. I respect your opinion; it is a very legitimate point of view. Okay, I'm done on this topic.

The daVinci burger sounds good-- I'll take two!

RJ

Anonymous said...

Hey RJ,

I illegally hijacked Randy's blog to say hi to you in his prior post.

Best to you,

- Les

Anonymous said...

"illegally" was a poor word choice above...more like "rudely" as in "socially illegal".

- Les

RJ said...

Hi Les-- nice to hear from you! Yes, I have many fond memories of Incognito gigs. If you click on the blue RJ, it will take you to my blogger profile where you will find links to my two music websites, my two art blogs, and also my e-mail address. Contact me via e-mail, and then we don't have to use Randy's blog to communicate. (Sorry, Randy!)

RJ