September 30, 2007

Sports

9/30/07

“Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard for all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting.”
-- George Orwell
-- The Sporting Spirit, 1945


Hello. I’m in my own voice today. I guess you could say it’s me, live. The self, historic, heroic, histrionic, hysteric tales I’ve been telling are 9 year old transcriptions of events from 36 years ago. The chemo is moving along. Tuesday I get #4. Because of liver complications, my doctor has decided to reduce the dosage. While the main dude, Kaminski, feels I can take it, my doc, Ahmed, wants to proceed on the side of caution. I trust her judgment here. Life is in a different mode. Since I’m not working, it’s like a weird vacation. Sure, reading, writing, and guitar playing is fun, but sometimes it just feels weird. Funny, but there are just some things I can’t say here. Remind me to write these thoughts later.

5 minutes from now the Lions and the Bears play. To say I like football is an understatement. I hope this doesn’t disappoint you who have mistaken me for an intellectual sophisticate, as I know so many of you have. I’m torn. Should I exit and watch T.V.? Wait a minute! I’ve got a radio in here. Yahoo. As it turns out, the radio constantly reviews scores around the league, while the telly is all Lions/Bears.

I just stepped in cat puke. Speaking of cat puke, how about the state of American politics these days. What a joke. I’ll tell you one thing beyond the ken of most Americans: the idea of holding our bowls upside down as a form of protest. This is what the monks in Myanmar are doing. We like our bowls heaping, and we don’t care whose is empty.

Halftime.

It’s autumn. I like the Fall save for what it portends. How about winter comes every 2 years and the climactic nature of spring and fall reverses itself every other year. Of course, of late there really hasn’t been much of a winter. My friend, Dave Clark, scholar and snowplow driver, has been hit hard by the lack of snow; as has the Upper Peninsula, which, in places like Big Bay, mightily depends on snowmobiling and other winter sports. We know it can’t be global warming. I mean, let’s not confuse a scientifically documented, physical phenomenon, with a liberal political mirage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on with ending sentence regarding global warming "let's not confuse a scientifically documented, physical phenomenon, with a liberal political mirage"

Received a special treat of fine music yesterday! Listening while at work.....sweet! Thanks from Bonni. Palm Desert, CA

~*~
Peace
~*~