April 6, 2009

A Short Riddle: Reading, Logic, & Time


"I always pass on good advice, It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself."


-- Oscar Wilde 1854-1900: "An Ideal Husband" (1895)

Rather than bore you with a noirish story that tries too hard, allow me to attempt a riddling spin that consternates the truth.
As you may or may not know, I am a world class blessing- counter. Now, blessing counting is a peculiar art, and I say "art" purposely, as the word "skill" places less emphasis on creativity than craft.
Deciding that improvised attention to the surrounding world, rather than a traditional faith in past experience, is the hallmark of blessing counting, the clever blessing-counter is always at the ready should an opportunity for gratitude present itself.
You're probably asking why I write this, what sense is being made here, and who cares? These are fair questions, which I'll get to later. Even if you figure out what's going through my head, which is always looking for a distraction from that senses dulling task of reading bad writing, please humor a cybernetic friend by continuing to read this.
Say, you were me, would you not want me to support your pathetic desire for approval, for validation, for that desperate habit of attention-seeking that attends the kind of world-class insecurity foundational to professional blessing-seekers. Scrutinize this carefully, as if it were your good deed for the day. Is it not puzzling, or silly, or did you quit reading a while back?
Either you're with us or against us -- once a blessing-counter, always a blessing counter. Intuition, not logic, coats the rim of the half-full glass. Read this as a parable on the wisdom of procrastination, and you'll learn to count your blessings.

-- Randy Tessier

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps I'm just not good at riddles ...

love - b

Unknown said...

Hi Randy,

Not 100% sure, but are you the Randy Tessier from the Lepers, and friend of Don Kuhli? I'm Kelly O'Leary, your old friend from Ann Arbor, if it's you.

OX, KellyO
kellyocox@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly:

Be 100% sure, because yes, I'm that Randy, and I just listened to an old Cassete of the Lepers live at floods.

Peace - Randy

RJ said...

Long live the Lepers!