January 24, 2009

Tim McGee Benefit 2009


“May you grow up to be righteous, may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong. May you stay forever young.”
-- Bob Dylan

Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:14:10 -0500 [01:14:10 PM EST]
From:
Randall Tessier
To:
lee@upfrontandcompany.com
Subject:
Tim McGee Benefit

Dear Lee:I/we, the friends of Tim McGee, are considering a benefit concert to help his family. Would Upfront have any interest in being a part of this. If not, thanks for considering it. If so, I would be happy to make a proposal as to what I had in mind.
Best - Randy Tessier

Dear Readers:

Here’s an update on the planned benefit for McGee. As you can see above, I’ve e-mailed the music-buyer at Upfront, Lee Haynes, in the hope that they might consider being a part of “McGee-Fest.” Should this not be a possibility, which I have every reason to believe will be the case, plan B is in place.

Plan B is this: After speaking with the venerable Mr. Beamer (wasn't he in Great Expectations?), I have reserved The Lumberjack for the evenings of July 24-25, 2009. The proceeds from both nights – door, pitcher, and PERHAPS a percentage of the bar (I plan to ask Beamer about a 20% of the bar donation) -- will go to McGee. These nights also coincide with the 40 year reunion (can you believe it!) of the 1969 class of Marquette High. Charlene Crothers, Marcia Campbell-Tessier, Betty Nord-Brady (why is it I only remember the girls), Lynn Argetsinger, and Bonni Drazkowski-Quinn, to name only a few, will all be in town for this shindig. While I would like to see all members of the 69 cohort in attendance, it matters little, since the local Big Bayers, like Roger Mason, Jerry Beerman, Bill Bystrom, Skip Henderson, and the like, will be sure to show up. Snatch, Jose, and Diddler, we’re looking for you too.

Who is playing? The plan is to have a core band. But this by no means precludes having entire local bands, or elements of these bands, take the stage. Mike Letts of the Flat Broke Blues Band w/Laurie Hayes, assured me that they are ready to heed the call. I haven’t yet contacted Daryll Syria, Tret Fure, Fast Eddie, Bobby Hayes, Jerry Kippola, and other local luminaries, but I’m sure they’re all willing to contribute to this worthy cause. I’m sure that by that date McGee will be ready to provide a full-throated version of “Rosey Palm Blues.” French and Kuhli are also excited about kickin out the jams.

Additionally, while this is all well and good, it is with great pride that I can say the members of FUBAR want to head north for this. Along with Don and Kim, the Fubarians can provide a a knock-out back up band for any and all that want to take the stage, and are more than willing to sit down to accommodate others. The two night format is perfect for making sure everyone is heard. I talked to George Bedard, and there’s a good chance we can make his presence possible.

Weatherwise, this weekend is typically the high-point ot the U.P. summer. Although Marquette is a higher profile location, I think with the right advertising and high caliber of entertainment the Lumberjack will be packed. What say you, Bill DeBroux? While it seems a long way off, time flies. While Upfront is still a possibility, in truth, I prefer the idea of staging this event in Big Bay. It has the kind of local ambience I like, and precludes the black-fly-college-crowd that could care less about Marquette’s local musical history, let alone what’s going on on-stage.

What say you? Please leave comments on the blog offering support, praise, suggestions and whatever else you might want to say.

Best - Randy




2 comments:

Skip said...

Big Bayer, Skip, votes for the LBJ

Anonymous said...

I say that there is no way I'm missing this one. Please email me with support requests, monetary and otherwise. Do we want to go completely mental and start a tax- exempt non profiter? You know, have the government kick in a little tax help to all the donators? By the way, nice ass chewing you delivered to the Up Front honks. Late,Bill.