December 9, 2008

The Pinocchio Illusion


I’ve included the photo at right as an example of how insidious human nature can look. The world is full of gangsters that pillage, rape, and kill. Words like compassion, mercy, and sympathy mean nothing to them. Combined, they are responsible for the murders of millions of innocent men women and children, and we countenance them.

“If we are all unique creatures of God, as Christians affirm, normality becomes a meaningless concept.”
-- Ted Harrison 1948-- : “Disability: Rights and Wrongs” (1995)

“Touch also turns out to be easy to fool. Among the sensory tricks now being investigated is something called the Pinocchio illusion. Researchers have found that if they vibrate the tendon of the biceps, many people report feeling that their forearm is getting longer, their hand drifting ever further from their elbow. And if they are told to touch the forefinger of the vibrated arm to the tip of their nose, they feel as though their nose was lengthening, too.”
-- New York Times (12/9/08)

Regarding the BIID issue, look for a post soon relating the “Pinnochio illusion” to BIID.

I suppose I should write something. Ok, it’s cold, rainy, snowy, and nasty, what we sports gamblers call a wintry mix (bet the under). Kind of makes me feel like that hayseed Packers coach, a bit FLUSTRATED. Knew a fella once with three fingers. He was always complaining about his flustration. Whaddya gonna do? I don’t wanna be one of them english teachers who is always correcting everybody. Did I mention it’s dreary? The world can be a dreary place. My guardian angel in the English Department, Lori, is leaving. I’m happy for her, but sad for those of us who’ve come to love her. Peace Concert at the Ark this weekend. FUBAR will do a song by Oni, Jim, and Sophia, “Half Staff Blues.”

Bonni Q., thank you. B. is quite flattered you think so highly of her cooking.

Picked up a guy carrying a gas can last week. It was on the way to Plymouth. Dude was wearing a windbreaker and some Bruno Maglis, walking slowly in a a driving wet snow. So I think, I gotta pick this guy up. Funny thing though, I pull over a quarter mile ahead, thinking he’ll start running towards the car, which is what any hitchhiker worth his salt would do, but this guy just keeps walking at the same pace. Weird. Finally he gets to the driver’s side window, hesitantly peeks in and asks me if I’m giving him a ride. Did I mention Mitch Mitchell, Jim Morrison’s dad, and Sonny Von Bulow died recently?

So I says:
“No, I just wanted to see what you looked like.”
Then I says, “Are you a serial killer?’
So he says, “No.”
So I say, “Well I am. Ha Ha!”
Seriously, I say, “I can take you to the gas station, and give you a ride back, I’m going to my girlfriend's house in Plymouth. She lives on Sheldon”
He says, “I live close by there, you can take me home and my wife will drive me back.”
I say, “So what do you do?”
He says, “I’m a corporate lawyer, I’ve worked for Maasco Corp., Nabisco, and Ford.”
So I say, “You voted for McCain, didn’t you,” as I began to feign pulling off to the side of the road.
He goes, “Yea, I voted for McCain, but in my heart I secretly wanted Obama. My wife voted for him.”
So I say, “You wouldn’t have picked me up if I was walking, right?”
And he says, “No, I wouldn’t have.”
So I say, “You’re a corporate lawyer and you ran out of gas?”
He says, “Yea, I’m outta work.”
So I say, “The pain is trickling up dude.”
Then I dropped him off at a beautiful house in Plymouth.

McGee’s got some kind of heating contraptions for sale. I think we should all buy one. Obamalamadingdong’s on the verge of finishing in the money in our football pool.

Had a PET scan this morning and a CAT scan last month where I talked to a guy who had lymphatic cancer. During the course of our wait he told me about his disease experience. He was diagnosed at 38, carefully monitored, and underwent chemotherapy 4 years ago. One interesting tidbit he left me with concerned an experimental vaccine he’s been receiving in Spain. The guy is rich, so if you have lymphoma you can’t try this at home. Just prior to the chemo he had some malignant cells sent to Pamplona (where the bulls run), and the famous oncologist there used them to make a vaccine personally tailored for this guy. This is the direction in which cancer research is headed.

Go Bears!

6 comments:

Sean said...

I look forward to see your BIID post with the Pinnochio bit :)

Talking of BIID, have you seen the recent article by neurologists at UCSD that found evidence of a neurological origin to BIID?

Apotemnophilia: a neurological disorder.

COGNITIVE NEUROSCIENCE AND NEUROPSYCHOLOGY
Neuroreport. 19(13):1305-1306, August 27, 2008.
Brang, David; McGeoch, Paul D.; Ramachandran, Vilayanur S

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of amputating my toenails because there is this gross fucking fungus growing under them and there is not a medication on the planet that will get rid of it. But I have not yet done the deed. Does that make me a wannabe? Late,Bill.

Anonymous said...

Vandal,
let me know what your results are..I had my Direct Laryngoscopy w/ biospy today. My test was a piece of cake this time. I will have my results on Monday.

Lovie vs. McCarthy?..Does coaching in Green Bay make him a hick? Does coaching in Chicago make Lovie corrupt..They have both made major coaching blunders.

Anonymous said...

my heating contraptions are in stock..I have not finished my website yet..next week and you can order online and I will drop ship them to any address..They will cut your gas bill in half. Yes this is a shameless plug..Also water purifiers and air purifiers..As soon as I can speak I will give you a call.

Love, Magoo

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ibyduhuf.freewaywebhost.com/nahipyw.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I begin to get real money.
It's all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the income with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]