June 19, 2009

sTuFf tO rEaD: "Godfatherish," the adjective, and, there's always room at the Inn, Mr. Lorinser

"Sorrow and silence are strong, and patient endurance is godlike."
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1807-82: “Evangeline” (1847)

Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 4:05 p.m.

MARQUETTE -- For fifty-seven year old Tim McGee, the past few months have
been difficult following his reconstructive surgery.

The ten hour operation was performed in Madison, Wisconsin to remove Tim's larynx and rebuild the voice box. So far, it's the only known case of this surgery in the U.P.

"Because typically most people with an advanced stage cancer like mine was would have a total larenjectomy- total removal of the voice box. So now we're just kind of in a wait and see mode," says survivor Tim McGee.

The trips to Madison combined with medical expenses have been expensive for
the McGee family.

While the insurance picks up some of the tab, McGee estimates his current bills at well over $300,000. Fortunately the community has come together to organize a benefit.

The benefit dance will be held this Saturday at Pasquali's in Negaunee from 6 PM until midnight. Guests will enjoy music from Fast Eddie's Blues Band, food, music, and raffle prizes. Organizers are hoping the event will be a success.

"There's hardly anyone we know that doesn't have a friend or relative that has cancer and is battling this disease and it's time for all of us to get together and help one another. I find in the Marquette area that's a very easy thing to do," said organizer Carol Etten.

It's been an uphill battle for Tim, but he remains positive. "My ultimate goal is to have this trake removed and be able to breathe from my mouth again. If I come out of it with a whisper, even this voice here, I would be happy," commented McGee.

Organizers are already planning two other benefit dances for Tim on July 24th and 25th in Big Bay.

(From WLUC TV Interview, Marquette Michigan)

They say I have A.D.D….

Which is why it’s time to start hyping, I mean talking about, McGOOSTOCK ’09. You may have noticed the group, Chemojunkie, on the poster. Their reunion has been as eagerly anticipated as it has talked about since word got out that French, Kuhli, and Tessier would be performing at what’s now being simply referred to as “The Stock.” In a series of group interviews this intrepid trio talked about their respective roles in making this power trio juggernaut roll.

ROLLING STONE: How do you boys achieve such a groovy sound?

FRENCH: When we start playing, we have a simple plan: keep it simple.

TESSIER: French is right. One of our coolest songs used to have two chords. What happened was, every time we played it, one of us was off on the change, so we cut it to one chord. Now the changes are easy.

KUHLI: This made it easy for me, since key changes have always been the biggest challenge to my drumming abilities.

RS: Any regrets, fellas?

TESSIER: We made a lot of mistakes the first go round, but now that we’re beyond drugs and loose women, our music has taken on a certain preciousness it lacked in our youth.

FRENCH: Along the way to picking up my Job Corps Hair Dresser Degree and Massage Therapy Certificate, I wish I had taken the time to pursue a career in social work.

KUHLI: Now that I’m a music teacher in San Diego, I wish I had taken Spanish back at Northern.

Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:25:29 -0400 [06/17/2009 10:25:29 PM EDT]
From:

To: rlt@umich.edu

Subject: Magoo Fest!

Hey Randy!

First of all I want to give you the biggest thanks for putting all of this together for my Dad. You are simply amazing! Every time he talks about it I see the old Timmy sparkle back in his eyes. Seeing how much support he has has made this easier on all of us.

I have a good friend (Andrew Lorinser) who runs "Redfella Records" in Marquette. He is a wonderful musician himself and also does P.A. stuff and has offered his services! I am not sure if any of this is needed or if there is room for him to play a short acoustic set but thought I would let you know. (He knows Tret Fure and has done her P.A. in the past)

The last thing I wanted to ask you is this...I didn't read my Dad's care page before he removed the section about what someone said to him. He is far too proud to tell me, or L., what was said or who said it, but I was wondering if you could tell me at least what the update indicated. I am very upset that anyone could say something to my dad to cause him any more pain. I can't think of anything he has done to anyone other than tell the occasional bad joke or two ;] Please don't tell him I asked you about it but I don't take things like this lightly. No one hurts a member of my family, no one. I know that sounds a little "Godfather"-ish but seeing my Dad so down in the dumps lately I can't STAND to think of someone taking a low blow at him and getting away with it.

All my love!

-- C.


"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." - Mark Twain


This is, indeed, the kind of daughter we all want. I don’t think Ms. C. knows it, but Mark Twain is one of my all time heroes.

Well folks, it’s official, I mailed out my MMMP forms about an hour ago, which makes me a certified legal, card carrying pothead.

As you can see below, however, I had a little trouble along the way. And where do you think that came from? Righteousness knows no geographic boundaries, and so it was that a patronizing physician, a young punk half my age, no doubt drunk with an abiding concern for my “best interest,” had the temerity, not to mention the unmitigated gall, to refuse my request that he testify to my having the qualifying conditions to merit a, hey, hey, green card.

Dr. L. is the head of the Hepatology (liver) Department where Dr. X. works.

Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:33:04 -0400 [09:33:04 AM EDT]
From:
Randall Tessier

To:

Subject: IMPORTANT


Subject:
IMPORTANT

Dear Dr.L:

My name is Randall Tessier. I'm 58 years old, live in Ann Arbor, and teach in the English Department at UM. Over the past 5 years I've been diagnosed with both hepatitis C and non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I've had editorials published on Dr. Kaminski's work with radioimmunotherapy (Bexxar), and done much layman's research on Hep C and cancer.

My problem is this: When I asked my liver doctor, Dr. X, to sign the release form to get my medical marijuana registry release form, he refused. This is unconscionable. Ann Arbor is assumed to be an enlightened community, and one would certainly think the physicians at UM hospital were forward thinking enough that I wouldn't have to approach some fly-by-night clinic to get this signed.

I have been pleased with X.’s handling of my liver issues, but I was somewhat disturbed to hear him claim the Liver Board (if this is in fact true) had decided not to sign any of these releases. It is now LEGAL for me to use marijuana to relieve my nausea, lack of appetite, and uncontrollable itching that has accompanied the eczemetic skin condition that has arisen following my chemotherapy.

This is a patient's rights issue, not a moral dilemma. I think it is WRONG for your clinic to put me in a position where I'm a lawbreaker, and, even worse, where I have to seek out less legitimate medical establishments to alleviate my suffering. I'm appealing to you to exercise some sound judgment and allow a man of age and intelligence to make an autonomous and wise decision regarding his own health.

I don't want to go public with this, but if I have to, I feel it's my duty to advocate for other patients who don't have the strength to question personal health decisions made for them by doctors who have no idea of what they're going through.

Best - Randall L. Tessier, PhD

University of Michigan

English Department

No comments: