January 18, 2010

Dr. Randy's Eczema Relief Plan



“Illness is not something a person has; it’s another way of being.”

-- Jonathan Miller 1934-- : “The Body in Question” (1978)



Dear Friends:



My purpose today is to offer advice to you who suffer the torments of eczema and other such skin afflictions.



Almost a year ago, in April, I developed eczema. Subsequent to that, I visited the dermatology department at the University of Michigan three times. A steroid cream (Clobetasol) was prescribed (I rarely used it, since it compromises the skin’s strength and elasticity), along with the standard advice that I treat my skin with a moisturizer (they suggested Eucerin), and take a daily dose of an antihistamine (Zirtec).



Since then the condition has waxed and waned, with no dramatic change, that is, until recently. I hesitate to say it’s gone, but my skin (particularly the elbows and upper arms, lower legs, and haunches) has improved so dramatically that it almost seems to have totally cleared up.



Perhaps being almost 3 years out from the chemo has had something to do with it. The speculation being (mine) that my immune system had recovered to the point that it can assist my skin in healing itself. Whatever the case, here is my advice on what I’ve been doing, quite religiously, to address this sometimes maddening malady.



Aside from the daily regimen I’m about to prescribe, my companion Brigitte has outfitted her living room and bedroom with a humidifier and vaporizer, which has to be taken into account along with the routine below.



FIRST THING IN THE MORNING

Upon rising, take 1 tablespoon cod liver oil, or, 3 capsules of same with vitamin A&D added. You should also drink plenty of water through the day and night (keep water on your nightstand). The idea with the fish oil, as with water, is to hydrate the skin from the inside out.

Take the Zirtec (the CVS generic, (Cetirizine Hydrochloride) which I take, works fine, and it’s cheap).

As you take your morning constitutional (on the toilet, or not), liberally apply a heavy salve (NOT CREAM) to the legs, arms, wrists, haunches, and where needed. If you’ve suffered enough, the greasy aspect won’t bother you. If you have some privacy, remain naked for a while, while the salve is absorbed. When I’m going to be home for a while, I use A&D ointment, which stinks a bit, but provides great relief. Vaseline and Eucerin (there are generic equivalents, look in the baby section of the drugstore) work well if you’re going out in public and want a scent-free ointment.



THROUGH THE DAY

Drink water, and carry a tube of petroleum jelly (keep it in your car) and use it if you feel a twinge of itch.

At noon take one cod liver oil capsule (at bedtime as well).

After the gym, or late day shower, liberally re-slather ointments, just as you did in the morning.


NIGHT

Before bed, plenty of water, and a light (depending on your feeling about greasy sheets) or heavy pre-sleep application of the ointments.



LONG TERM


Stay With It and Don’t Give Up! If you think about it, no health problem is ever cured overnight, so don’t be discouraged if it takes a minute.


I hope this is helpful.


Best – Randy Tessier


No comments: