December 5, 2007

12/05/07

“Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.”
- Alexander Pope, 1727

Dear Trainee:

It’s a kind of gray day. I sent you a card yesterday with the good news that my latest CT Scan revealed no recurrence of the cancer. Yahoo! I think that’s what I wrote. Also, we’ll be manning the phones on both Thursday and Friday. Friday, I might have an early gig, but I’ll try to make it home in time. Today, I’m thinking about getting ready to teach school in the Winter Semester.

One of the things you are finding out about is the importance of memory. I think most of us take it for granted; but when our freedom is taken away, memory, in some ways, is all we have. Another conclusion you’ve probably come to, is that you have memories, a family, a chance, a future that some of those around you have never had, and never will have. I suppose a part of the wisdom in the statement, “stay in the present” is the idea that you can’t change the past, and the future is unpredictable; but it’s worth reminding ourselves that when the present is simply too much to bear, we can find solace in past memories and future hopes.

I know I’ve briefly mentioned the service before, and I don’t want to preach. However, let me say this. Since you yourself said that the S.A. I. boot camp is longer and more grueling than military boot camp, it’s worth considering shipping out to one of the branches of the service. You can be like Ishmael in “Moby Dick.” You can see the world! The R.O.T.C. programs at various colleges, both near and far, are also a good idea. You’ve already got some credits that would probably transfer wherever you might decide to go. These are just some things to think about.

These are good times for warm dreams. Do you dream much? I suppose dreams are similar to memories, just more jumbled up, non-linear. No, I take that back, dreams are different. I’ll have to think about why. Dream: a series of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.

I should enclose a photo, but I can’t think of which to send: pet, you, mom, Russell, me, all, new, old? I’m looking at one now where you and I are sitting on the rock cliff by Lake Superior. Here’s one of me holding you when you were only days old. Here’s another of you and mom coloring Easter eggs. This one is from Belize, a shot of you, mom, and Lynn, and finally, one of Sumo peering in the basement in mid-winter. I can’t remember if you can have one or two. I’ll send two.

Love - Dad

No comments: